Saturday, November 5, 2016

A great place to hunt squirrels

Charlie Alvis put me on a new spot. It had been frustrating out west of town. Nothing in open fields, few squirrels in the woods, and it's been warm. Charlie and Ryan Cantor went to San Antonio yesterday and came back with two passage RT's, both in mid 1400 range. I mentioned to Charlie about my hunting issues, and he told me about a place, giving me the location up near Porter. I headed up this morning, a short hour's drive for me. 

Though a little tight in terms of size, it is one of the best spots I have hunted. Unlike my other woods, there's little ground cover; so I can move around and the squirrels don't hang out down there. 

When I first got there, it was quiet, and I saw nor heard any squirrels. But Cisco found one soon enough. Some good chases, the squirrel bailed from the tree, but quickly climbed another. Cisco made his final move snatching it from a  branch and instantly parachuting down with it for me to dispatch. You'll notice in second picture that Cisco flies completely bare legged. I use removable jesslets, which I wish I could take credit for. 

Cisco has now picked up a cottontail, and three squirrels. Oh yes, and a toad, which is recovering in a terrarium at my house. 

IIn other news, Farrah the HH is very slowly coming down in weight, practically on starvation rations, about 20 grams per day. I may have her in field this week, albeit at a very high weight...... Maybe she'll catch some of the non existent game out west of Katy. 

At bottom is Cisco's Luksander Razor transmitter, worn on his backpack. I put him back in hawk box yesterday with no crop, just a chick to eat. He punished me by ripping off the heat shrink and badly bending the antenna spring, shown mostly repaired. I guess Cisco showed me.......


No comments:

Post a Comment