Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Cisco was good and persistent; the squirrel(s) were better

I took Cisco out near Cullen Park. I had checked the area earlier and was put off by a lot of barrier fencing near the creek. Today, on a whim, I checked again and walked the area. It was definitely huntable. Squirrels were barking. Cisco was at 947 pre-cast and pre-slice. Still on the high end but he showed himself ready.

I released him and he found a squirrel immediately. He chased the first squirrel for probably twenty minutes before it escaped to another tree. It was barking the entire time. Cisco followed and continued the attack on the same squirrel or maybe another. We hunted for a couple of hours, and I was beat. I walked away and Cisco followed, peeping, which meant he was in the tidbit mode. See picture  below. I gave him about 100 grams of Saturday's squirrel and we'll try again Friday. Cisco definitely got exercise today. He looked strong and quick. This was good squirrel hawking even if we struck out. It's possible that he grabbed one because he had a scratch or bite on the joint above toes and one of his attacks sounded like contact. Those squirrels used the trees and the leaves to their advantage today and survived. 

I may take Farrah out on Friday too. It's been difficult to get her weight down, but she should be ready. I have been feeding her about 20 grams of rabbit, squirrel, or DOC every day. Barely creeps down. She should be flyable right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment