Friday, November 25, 2016

A good omen? Not necessarily

James Major and I are trying to trap a RT. On the way I foolishly predicted that we'd catch a squirrel with Cisco, then get him a Red-tailed hawk. Cisco was initially balky and I was frustrated. Then he discovered a nest. He attacked the nest for a while. In the meantime a local squirrel kept approaching the nest, obviously defending. I was worried that it would attack Cisco. Ultimately Cisco yanked a squirrel out and parachuted down, but across the creek. I got distracted and didn't see where he went. Tracked him with the receiver. 

Well, just because your hawk catches a squirrel doesn't mean you'll trap a passage Red-tail. We trapped until dusk, not seeing a single juvenile bird. About 40 adults.... 

This picture by James Major

No comments:

Post a Comment