Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Two days

An interesting couple of days. This morning I hooded Cisco, as I have for years. This prevents his breaking primaries when I pull up to a hunting spot; he gets too excited in the hawk box. I have warned new falconers to be careful about hooding a hawk if the hawk might have casting in the gut. A hawk can usually, but not always, cast in a hood. Today it happened to me. A few minutes after putting him in the hawk box, I heard a sound that was not rousing and not hood scratching. I just happened to be walking by preparing fit the hunt. I quickly opened the box door and removed his hood. He was choking. Very dangerous and it was fortunate I was right there. What happened? I flew him Sunday night, fed him some squirrel, and he happened to cast at just the wrong moment. I'll redouble my efforts.....

Today was unpleasantly warm, especially for late November. Made me glad that "the concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive." A Tweet from the President-elect in 2012, though he obviously forgot during one of the debates. Are any rate I'm glad it's a hoax as every fall the weather seems to be getting warmer around here. Furthermore, Cisco was at a heavy 963 grams ahead of the aforementioned cast. He  was not red-hot, but systematically worked on the cat squirrels until he caught a buck high in a tree. A quick grab and he parachuted down with it. This squirrel had its teeth buried in Cisco's bare leg. 

Yesterday evening, Farrah finally caught something out in the fields, some birds while we were rabbit hunting. No rabbits seen, but good flights. 

Eating the head and shoulders 
Mine, stay back... 

No comments:

Post a Comment