Monday, December 5, 2016

Stressful Saturday Anniversary Hunt

Cisco's 11th Anniversary hunt. He was trapped in Fort Worth 12/3/2005.

These are very slightly edited snippets of some texts I sent later:

He had a squirrel in a hole in a tree. At one point I was  trying to get climbing irons to climb a tree coming out of water. Cisco's battle went on for twenty minutes.

He would hang like he was exhausted....

I was calling around for climbing irons. Swim to the tree and then climb it. He finally plucked the squirrel out and flew across the creek. 40 minutes later I was back at car.

I was afraid of a Great-horned owl picking him off as  he lay exhausted. It was starting to get late and was overcast. Getting stuck made zero sense but it sure looked like it. That video clip was only three minutes. (There is a YouTube video) 

He had only one foot in the hole so he killed an adult squirrel with one foot. What a way to go. Cisco looked like he was in a snap trap. Thinking he might even break his leg along with everything else. His leg is abraided and may be from that.

He barely made it to the bank. I was digging into my pockets to toss my phone and wallet on the ground. It was a good sized cat squirrel and he was tired. He just sat there, wings hanging, and even when I hiked over to him he had just started to drag the squirrel. A nice swim.....

Wasn't too much fun, but great when over. Cisco is a hard headed SOB. 




The lump in trunk of tree is Cisco 

Not ready to resume hunting after rain delay
 
Across the creek of course 

No comments:

Post a Comment